HISTORY OF THE BUILDING

The museum is housed in a 17th-century canal house at Herengracht, around the corner of Leidsestraat in the center of Amsterdam. In 1665, rope maker Jan Jacobszn van Gelder purchased the plot of land on which he built house numbers 427 and 429. The carpenter Cornelis de Roos had a facade with neck gables constructed in 1700, a feature that is still visible today.